Tuesday, August 11, 2015

First anniversary

Exactly one year ago, Jin started Dicescans as a birthday present to a friend.

At that point, DICE was more or less in limbo. The previous scanlator, Silent Sky, had been in breach of the 12-week unspoken rule of scanlation (I know because, in my abstinence, I was counting week by week), and Lonemanga was struggling to put out chapters: they were coming out in a trickle, without making a dent in the backlog. (I also know that because I was measuring the release pace, again because of my abstinence.)

Jin knew nothing about scanlation (I know that because once she asked me what shoujo manga is), or what DICE status was. She only knew her friend liked the series and was craving chapters. So she did what a friend does: she set a few hours every week to translate the backlog chapters from Korean and pasted the scripts onto panels using MS Paint.

And then she decided to share it with everyone else. People loved it: I remember vividly when Son-Derling told us at Mangahelpers there were two new chapters at this blog I had never heard of. I was overjoyed and rushed to offer whatever help I could to her, first splicing chapters together (thus my nickname) and later cleaning/typesetting (I told her I knew how to and fortunately for me she believed).

And here we are now, thanks to many offers of help, and through more than one rough patch. Out of the top of my head, I can recall the names of many people who contributed here and there: Andrea, Sira, Kabuto, Sarrymast, Xarix, Jun the translator, Choo Choo Cat, Orange Translator, Jun the redrawer, Fruit... you have our gratitude. And of course, the lovely Aia-chan, who has been around ever since and always steps in when we need her.

And I cannot forget my partners in crime, first Kfmnpah and now Fábio. If our releases are beautiful, it's thanks to you.

Congratulations on one year of Dicescans, Jin!

25 comments :

  1. You know who your friends when you are nobody.. You are lucky, Splicer, u recognized so many :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...Really thank you all. You give me a place for read DICE, one of the best series i never read. I´m from Perú, i love dice and i love this place. Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time commenting and I want to express my gratitude to all people who continue to contribute this lovely community, who do all the hard work even though they don't have to and all of it for heartless leeches of society (I think we have heart for all of you friends, and a <3 for the one who came up with this nickname) who don't payback in any way. As much as I like Dice, if you decide to drop it because of your personal life, I would be happy for you,for all the previous chapters and for everything you did. Praise praise praise, don't get cocky :p thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. (can't use my Google account somehow) Haha Happy One Year Anniversary~! I have been grateful for the hard work you put on this series ever since I stumbled upon this blog while (desperately) searching for translations of DICE so many months ago (time sure flies by fast). Thank you very much for your continued efforts to bring this wonderful manhwa to the English public with the best quality I have seen. You guys are simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (trying again to see if it works) Haha Happy One Year Anniversary~! I have been grateful for the hard work you put on this series ever since I stumbled upon this blog while (desperately) searching for translations of DICE so many months ago (time sure flies by fast). Thank you very much for your continued efforts to bring this wonderful manhwa to the English public with the best quality I have seen. You guys are simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary and thanks a lot for all your hard work everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes thanks a lot to all of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all members of the team for all the hard work you have put in to give us such high quality chapters. I know there are constantly ungrateful assholes, but I'm sure there are many more of us that are greatly appreciative of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ... Wow. Where's the chapter?






    Just kidding :>
    Thank you, really, for all the effort. The lives of us readers would have been so empty without you people :))
    One question came to my mind reading this.
    Jin, do you like DICE? I never saw you commenting or discussing about the chapter. It's a pity ^^ Reading that you started this for a friend (you seem to be a real good friend, a rare sight these days), i thought that maybe you don't even like the series you are translating. Would be mind-blowing ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I do like DICE.

      I don't comment online because between the discussions I have is with my friends at school and reading the comments here (I actually do read every single one), I have more than enough exposure to DICE. I also admit to switching to "let's just look at the pretty pictures and stop thinking" mode when I'm tired...

      Delete
    2. Now I'm feeling guilty for suffering you through my walls of text regarding Eunju...

      Delete
    3. It's interesting to read. Don't mind me :)

      Delete
    4. Jin, you're so cool ꒰✩’ω`ૢ✩꒱ Sorry...

      Delete
  11. Thank you dicescans for picking up dice and giving it a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Dicescans for all you've done. Thanks to you i can read dice, one of my favorite series. I always follows you every week. You are doing a great job, thank you! greets from Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOOkay the first message I was going to write was deleted (because I'm stupid and I click on a button thinking it was going to publish my message ... btw I almost gave up, but this is important).

    Congratulation guys, you did incredible things ! By the way Splicer this was a beautifull story, it made me happy.
    I really enjoy Mangas and Manwhas (and only one manha, feng shen ji), so believe me when I say I'm impressed by what you guys do. All of you are a big part in my life, you do something incredible.

    In any case whatever you'll do in the future, I hope you all stay in contact, friends are incredible ^^'

    (Now I'm copy/pasting that comment in case "things happen" ...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Dicescan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome. Good to know how it started.
    Dice is my 2nd most sought after manga after One Piece.
    By the way, manga & manhwa means the same thing. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been here almost since the beginning but I rarely comment. Thank you Jin and team for all your hard work and dedication to DICE. You've done a lot for us readers! <3 Happy 1st dicescans anniversary~ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep up the hard work!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It'll be posted shortly after review (we've had some spam lately).